8.28.2026

First ‘earned’ weekend (1st week back at work) here in the Maghreb

 

 "I get knocked down, but I get up again"; the theme of returning and this week- mostly to do with coming home to an apartment still under renovations and unlivable...But, I survived!

 

Another theme of the week: no satisfaction! Music kept me from losing my shit all week, and with this came plenty of satisfaction.

   



Only a week ago have I discovered that my wooden shutters in the bedroom really DO keep most all light out when you close them. I am slow to the game of life much of the time. So, the past week I’ve been closing them, but there is a catch-22 in all this, which must be why I’ve been resisting all this time, and I think my experiment in darkness is over.

 

I’ve been waking up at 8 am all week, and there are no complaints, really, but as much of the week was still vacation time, I’ve been lounging around in the mornings and not getting started with my day until just before noon. Next, if I close the shutters, the breeze is severely limited as well as just watching the night sky, the moon, the mountain backdrop and listening to the wind.

 

To recap the week, when I arrived back, my apartment was a disaster and the workers who were supposed to ‘renovate’ it in July still weren’t finished at the end of August. I walked into it at 2 am and all my furniture & cabinet foodstuffs were still in the middle of the main room with plastic tarping over, there was still paint buckets everywhere, no water (the water main was turned off), the gas hook-up wasn’t fixed so no cooking, the workers drank all my water in the fridge., etc. And…it was a huge holiday weekend & into earlier this week as well, so no one was going to come and fix stuff—or so I thought. My guy did in fact get ahold of the workmen, and they did come back to fix the issues, but they weren’t fixed completely: I had water, but no hot water, they put the faucet on, but there was a severe leak and the plumbing below the cabinet was getting flooded, they didn’t drill the holes in cabinets to put gas canister in, blab blah blah. They came back, again, yesterday and ‘fixed’ stuff (hot water working now), but when I walked into my apartment after work, there were 5 guys fixing things (yay!), but I was cautious… I immediately left and went cycling. When I returned, 3 hours later, I came back to an empty apartment, but the kitchen faucet was running- full stream… How does someone forget to turn off the faucet?  In the end, all is fixed (I think), so I should just be happy with that and celebrate.

 

This morning is still with no breeze. It’s not even 10:00, and it’s blazing hot. The atmosphere is heating up again here in the mid-Atlas this week. I’m in fact going to celebrate my triumphs this week and head out into the deep forest and let my spirit run amuck.The best thing, I don't have to prep anything as I prepped it all last night! 

 

Woohoo

 

Oh, and returning to work wasn't so bad!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment