9.19.2013

"X" marks the spot

Last night was "X". I didn't even know it was coming earlier in the day. After classes let out (Thursday is my heavy day with 3 classes), I finished up some other things and then headed out and back to base camp (how Sophie (my GPS) finds my dwelling).  I only had about an hour to chill before heading out on our weekly Riffa run with the Bahraini Road Runners Club.  I made a smoothie (yes I brought Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds, Super Blue-Green Algae, etc from Hawai`i with me) thinking that 1.5 hours was enough time to digest...

Well not necessarily.  Nothing major, but I could feel it moving through my system while running.  I'm still getting used to running in the heat so... At any rate, it was a good run.  Feels so satisfying after crossing the finish line and receiving my card and hanging out afterwards chatting with everybody soaking wet.  As we finished the run, the sun was setting into the horizon in a magnificent display. Something about that moment stopped me and made me feel really comfortable in my new environment. Eventually we all scatter and so off our trio of musketeers went (Lynette and John, the Fulbrighters, were with me). Sophie was acting up and brought us through a maze of roads, which was highly amusing.  Upon reaching base camp, I realized that I had Sophie programmed to 'shortest route' instead of 'fastest route', or vice versa...

Anyway, at home I just lazed about and though I would eventually get motivated to do some lesson planning and get it out of the way for the weekend.  Shower, dinner and ready to go?  Nope.  Couch and air con... Yep I was headed for my "crash and burn" night.  Now I remember these fondly back on Maui.  They happened every so often.  I always enjoy them actually.  My body just saying, chill the f*ck out. I passed out around 9:30 pm on the couch and woke up at 10:45 and trotted off to bed.  9.5 hours later here I am, in bed with my chilled coffee, feeling relaxed and gooey. Damn that was a quality sleep.  Feeling like a million Bahraini Dinar now (which would be close to 3 mil USD)!

Now, there was a few things I didn't take care of last night though... like going to the phone store and getting my phone credits... Ugh.  That must happen later this morning as I've friends in town from other kingdoms nearby.  

This morning marks week 2 for me here in the Kingdom of Bahrain.  So far so great.  I've managed to get it all together and make a home that already feels homey. I have a bedroom that is cave-like and never sees the light of day- which I so adore.  Makes me feel like I'm back in the jungles of Haiku. I also got all my paperwork finalized- meaning my car got leased! Yep I have wheels.  This is a great, unexpected, part of the Fellowship details I must have overlooked earlier! Anyway, it feels great to be mobile.  I haven't had a car for the past 3 years in Turkey and Tunisia so this is quite liberating.

The 3 Musketeers attended a cool function at the Crowne Plaza Hotel this week. We met up with all the local Fulbrighters that just came back from their missions in America, etc. It was amazing to talk to so many bright young minds ready to conquer the world with their smart ideas.  I'll be working with some in the future. So, it was a great place to meet-up, connect and exchange ideas and think about the future.  I had quite a few conversations about the historical and archaeological heritage of Bahrain, known as the ancient "Dilmun" and "Tylos", with some scholars and artists there.  I realized from conversation that I really did do some in depth research about Bahrain so was pleasantly surprised that I had contributions to add to the conversation.You know I love me some history talk- especially ancient history! There is also a budding art movement here as well I found out.  All in all, a very successful evening indeed.

As well, I've another swank function coming up this week too!  I like that my social calendar is filling up.  Makes me feel more settled into this place. I actually had to turn down an invite to go hiking this morning- due to my 'crash and burn' episode, which I am enjoying immensely.

Another highlight of this past week was finding out that there are no classes on Tuesdays so we can choose to come into work and work, or work from home- which is difficult I am finding out...

That about wraps up this past week for me.   This weekend is full of visiting with friends, finishing up the very last bit of residency paperwork, and attend the Youth Peace Conference.  This means little time for lesson planning except for the late nights... Speaking of which, it was announced that I became coordinator for the class I am teaching, so... a full plate this semester indeed. Good thing I had my "crash and burn" episode last night because now I'm off and running again...




No comments:

Post a Comment