1.25.2017

A funny thing happened to me on the way to Napoli Capodichino International Airport...



I'll begin with the end: A funny thing happened to me on the way to Napoli Capodichino International Airport, and this is how it went down...

So, there I was at the Port of Naples, sitting on a plastic chair drinking Proseco and soaking up the Napoli sun that has favorably looked down upon this city for thousands of years. Maxine, doing her thing with her new navy blue, Italian leather purse (admiration, appreciation, etc.), was waxing poetic about the city's cool, warm vibe (I know, sounds weird- but totally 100O% real fact, and not an 'alternative fact' (as the new U.S. president's inner circle would perhaps suggest).

Suddenly there is a chick coming up to us at our makeshift headquarters as we waited for the AliBus to whisk us off to the airport. She had a presence, I felt it. She hovered around us at first- until we noticed that she was going to say something to us, almost as if reluctant to approach us.

Let me back up a bit... So, January 21st, one day after the inauguration of the 45th American president *insert sad, angry emoji here*, was the "Women's March on D.C" https://www.womensmarch.com/ .  I had ferociously been making pink #pussyhatproject hats https://www.pussyhatproject.com/ weeks before for friends and myself to wear in protest of many important platforms, but just overall how shitty our douche bag new president is...

Because my time in Italy overlapped this monumental day, I decided that we must represent regardless of present location. I mean, pussies everywhere have shit to say, right? The 21st was spent checking out Naples most famous archaeological sites: Herculaneum and Pompeii. We had our pussyhats on and got our exploring on. Amazing day. Honestly, every day in Naples was amazing.

 But I digress... Back to the Port of Naples... So this chick is approaching us- me and my pink pussyhat specifically. She is a local, and looks to be asking for directions? I'm, of course, delighted as I think to myself, 'hah! I look Italian enough to be a 'local'- how cool is that?' I mean, I am Italian-American after all and have the nose to 'prove' it. She stops at our rickety little table and starts off, "Excuse me, but your hat you're wearing. I couldn't help but notice that it's pink and am wondering if you are part of this movement..." (something like this is went). It was like, YESSSSSS!!! I LOVE YOU! I mean, that is so cool that during our entire Naples journey no one approached us while wearing our hats, although I'm sure many knew from the news, social media, etc.

It was SUCH a beautiful moment that here is this chick and she recognized what was going on. Quickly she produced a camera! OMG! Suddenly I noticed another entity next to her- another pussycat, this one had a penis though! We were still in awe of what was happening and he quickly shifted into paparazzi mode!  We took pictures while exchanging niceties, etc.

Now, I tried to give away my pussyhat a day earlier, while thrift shopping. By the way, Naples has a thriving thrifting community! So, at Happy Vintage https://www.facebook.com/Happy-vintage-to-you-519567091414932/ I spied this lovely frock that I suddenly had to have. I bargained down to an incredible deal- mainly due to the owner being this kind, generous, wonderful creature. I was explaining the significance of my #pussyhat I was wearing and entered it into the deal, along with the makeshift sign (refer to pictures) I carried around while in pussyhat mode, etc. He wasn't quite getting it, and when I finally took it off my head to give it to him, he graciously turned down my offer, but kept the signage!  I hope he looks it up and reads all about it! I also gave him my calling card so he just might be checking out this blog at any moment (the makeshift card consisted of a Dr. Seuss sticker with some Sharpie scribblings of my social media sites to visit).

Again I digress. Earlier in the day I had lamented about how I wanted to give my pussyhat away to some Napoli pussy! During our photoshoot, I decided that this awesome female was the perfect pussy to don my very own made-by-my-hands pussyhat and continue to represent the movement in her world! I took off my hat and offered it to her. She was trying to graciously decline my offer, but I was having none of it.  I motioned for her to wait a moment (while I was digging through my backpack) so I could give her one of my calling cards too!

Because our bus was coming any minute, we left it at this. We just were all thrilled at what had transpired. I mean, it felt GOOD. I am so happy to give my hat to her. I feel like we healed the world, just a little bit from this :) I know she will be reading this too, so I am expecting some photos from yesterday of us, as well as keeping the movement alive and posting with it on around!!! I am so excited for the new chapter in my pussyhat's new life. I want to hear all about its journey. Those 2 people were just so damn cute and real and I hope they know how deep in my heart I loved their energy and how important it all was and the lead-up to our meeting was just whimsy!

Oh yea, Italy is amazing. More on that another time though. It's Thursday morning and I'm back in Istanbul on a dreary winter day that threatens with snowfall.

Here are some #pussyhat pictures in Pompeii!










by the end of the day, we were fuzzy pussies :)


No comments:

Post a Comment