8.17.2026

Internal Cartographer Series:17.May.2026


 

NOTE: For this, I had many problems in figuring out who was the narrator. I settled on 2 narrators: The map speaking about herself and the cartographer thinking to himself. I don’t know any other way to handle these two things. So, there is a psychological duet between them yet unbeknownst to them- perhaps. They are together in the same room but isolated in thoughts.

 

I originally wrote this in May, back in Morocco, but I added to it and edited it here in Portugal. It's still a work in progress, I think.

 

The Environment

 

Alone in his workspace,

My cartographer—

Shadows illuminated

By a candle.

Slowly unrolling delicate parchment

Documenting HIStory…of HERstory.

His index finger traces the vellum                                        

Textured memory

Of her undulating landscape;

He locks down its edges

With padded weights.

 

Pouring the ink, uncapping the quill, he is ready to record:

The estuarine slope of her collarbone,

The hollow of her throat’s valley,

The soft foothills of her breasts,

The river of her pulse.

 

Moving the protractor southwards,

You pause and take in a deep breath before returning your focus:

The canyon of her spine,

The hidden cave of her navel,

The sand dunes of her hips,

The delta of her thighs.                                              

                                   

My cartographer,

Eyes strained.                                                             

Every contour of mine is etched in lambent memory,

Following my topography,

Lingering at a specific path—

A specific memory.

Fingers stained

With my indelible ink.                                               

 

A breeze rushes in,

Candle flickers,

Wax melts.

 

Salt air

Rising up from the sea,

Scented with amber and moss.

Quietude washes over,

Silence prevails through a cacophony of absolute isolation.

Vast distances separate

My cartographer

From my domain.

 

The Metric                                             

 

Admiring last evening’s work,

He studies the scale bar:                                            

Ten centimeters equals one kilometer.

An annoying reminder

Of rigid physical differences

Between his drafting table                 

And where I sleep, dream, exist.

 

Reaching for his contour pen,                                                

He triangulates to a desert of blank parchment,

Pinpointing where my pulse beats.

He sets to work:

Carving fissured valleys of silence,

Plotting the geography of his loneliness—

Moonlight miles away from my coordinates.            

 

The Awakening                             

 

My cartographer stills.                                   

Whispers?

A voice inside his map,                                  

His creation

Softly inquires:                                              

 

“Who surveys my terrain?                             

Who dares to measure my peaks, my valleys, my coastlines, my boundaries?

Etching into memory every contour                          

With absolute patience and focus.                 

Will some other navigator take possession   

Of that which is not his to explore?”             

 

The thrill and the fear                                    

Of the unexplored edges,

Stepping into unchartered territory—

My territory

Beware…

Are your intentions of pure reverence,          

Or conquest?

 

I am your Frankenstein.                  

Your map comes alive.

I challenge your intentions,

My cartographer.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment