8.29.2013

wanderlust: lusting to wander

Good morning from my Upcountry HQ in Makawao, cowboy country, Hawaii, Maui, USA, Solar System of the Sun, Space

yea, more like space out ya'll... Laying up in bed with the cool-ish morning breeze wafting in and birds chirping, dogs barking, roosters roosting, and... wait for it... COFFEE. So you see, I'm already back in my 'position' when I blog from afar.  It honestly feels strange to blog in Amerika...

Anyhow... ROAR. I'm feeling it. Those of you in the know, know :)  Anyway, yesterday was a major day in many ways for me.  It was a flight finalization to Bahrain. It was a finally get the scale to weigh my bags day. It was a beautiful, sunny day with hardly any humidity.

So, what's a girl to do with these perfect conditions- reach the beach.  What bikini to wear? Where to place my pareo in the sand? Where is the sun? Oh look, the sand is returning to Baldwin Beach on the right side after nearly all summer's absence. Oh the beauty I soaked up.  No wind, no crowds, fizzy water, BBQ tofu, and my book- which, by the way, is so amazing that I have decided to do an 'annotated bibliography' of sorts with it as one of my future posts.  More on that later though.  So, back to the beach.

The only minor distraction was the thoughts of all the shark sightings and/or attacks in Hawaii recently... It got me thinking, when I wasn't reading or daydreaming or forecasting, why is this happening?  What is it? Global warming- waters rising & food chain disrupted?  Fukushima fallout w/prevailing currents bring all that waste here? Sharks getting too hot and going agro on us? Sharks losing food chain food as food chain is dying out due to increase in water temps along w/debris? Sharks have to come near shore to feed now? Have their feeding hours changed due to climate change- is it not typically just dawn and dusk they are out on the prowl for chow? Is it something simple (regional) like El Nino or La Nina? Is it just a natural metamorphoses that has been occurring on a geological scale that we can't observe because it's a long process and we're in it? WTF?  I want answers!

So the weather has changed for the better yesterday.  With that, my sunset-ish run was SWEET. It is the 1st run in a week where I haven't stopped- I'm talking only a 4mile run too... I realize that my days are numbered running here and soon I'll be running through another landscape! During my trot I started to think about my future running routes. What would they be like? Will I have to carry a little sweat towel? Will I have to carry water? Will I actually run at night (I did just purchase a neon yellow tee for this very reason)? Then I started thinking about yoga classes. What will they be like? And then my future apartment, my car, etc.  All such newness coming up in about a week and I'm totally stoked. As a side dish, I was also thinking about work too...

One thing I didn't think about- the Syria conflict.  I gave myself that. I gave myself an hour to not think about it.  Actually it didn't even enter my mind. "IT" didn't even attempt to. There was a full hour where it had no bearing on my outlook. This I enjoyed.  Much of my time this summer has been spent reading what has been happening throughout the region I just left- Gezi Park, Turkish PM RTE, Gaziantep, Syria, refugees, etc. Our political machine seems to be kicking into high gear this week and who knows about next week... My unsolicited thoughts: brains, not bombs. Syria needs aid.  Everybody needs to ask Mr. Syria himself what he wants.  Why not? While we're at it, let's ask everybody again.  Why is this UN Security Council thing not working out properly? A decision should be made together- whatever it is.  Don't stop talking until a decision. Maybe this is how it actually happens, but I get the idea the principles of the idea (of a council) have been lost to pomp and circumstance long ago. We need progressive think tanks. I guess we have them- of all persuasions. So, what is the problem? Is it that THE world machine is just too damn big now? There is no more hand-shaking... What seems to be concrete right now is Russia sticking to its UN Security Council tenet that anything outside of a full UN SC approval is thought to be an act of aggression (no quote on that one, just round-about). Who's the bully? There's definitely more than 1 bully.  And it's not always a single entity anymore, is it?  blah blah blah.  I'm bumming out my zen-morning trip...

Let's see, what's on the agenda today?  I had to alter my plans to go to Palauea and assist in a current archaeological dig. So... this leaves me free. Free to go to my post office box and pick up my 3 new Arabic language reference books (dictionary, workbook, and something else I've forgotten already), and a care-package from King-Cab. Then I am free to go to do my rounds of house-sitting deeds. And then the beach. And then a late lunch... You get the idea.  I have no agenda for the day.  I'm ready to fly the coop.  Why? Because I've got a serious case of:
wait for it...
WANDERLUST: lusting to wander

No comments:

Post a Comment