5.17.2009

Dancing Wu Li Masters

The Wu Li Master dances with his student. The Wu Li Master does not teach, but the student learns. The Wu Li Master always begins at the center, the heart of the matter.... This deals not with knowledge, which is always past tense anyway, but with imagination, which is physics come alive, which is Wu Li....
somebody in the know said that

Aloha Kakahiaka na oukou (g'day all)

I woke up immediately engaged in dance: Summer- I can smell summer today. Here in the lands of Pauwela, Haiku, NNE coast of Maui (coordinates 20°55′14″N 156°18′45″W / 20.920528°N 156.312631°W / 20.920528; -156.312631) wikipedia  there has occurred a shift. It is ever so subtle but Kama`aina can feel it. First, in a city one smells the heat from the sun radiating down onto the asphalt (concrete jungle) - the pungent odor that, at first, is apparent, then becomming familiar. It is like this in the jungle as well but instead of asphalt it is the heat of my gravel and dirt driveway... (lol). This is true though. Next indicator: sunrise spontaneously erupting with no cloud cover to gently stir myself out of slumber. Instead it seems a demanding-immediate-attention interruption from hypnopompic state to reality. The event stirs up the agitation, or perhaps delight, of the bird populations here into a cacophonic symphony of earthly sounds as they greet the day and start foraging. 

So, I feel the shift & am grateful I still retain a  primal enough sensibility to experience this. It will become more subtle in the next few days and will seem natural soon enough. At least until the trade winds come back bringing much welcomed evening & morning rainfall. Everything happens for a reason & I see this is a precursor for me for NYC. There will be no gentle rainfall to stir up the night blooming jasmine that invades me senses, no cloud cover enveloping my domain to help ease daybreak, etc. So, time to charge city life for a few months I suppose...

The Wu Li Masters will find me. Maui is not going to let go of me easily though. Friends have already decided we are going camping in Hana next weekend. The road to Hana; there is a destination of course, Hana, but there is so much more involved. The road to Hana coats you with a slick, permeable substance that attracts one to the sheer magnitude of what is being experienced- visually, physically, emotionally. It is a road trip if I ever had one- every time. Explosions of waterfalls around every bend to audible shock you into a mesmerized stupor- or sometimes it is just a trickle of water that seems so deafening; the fruit stands that hug each ess curve so precariously that you feel the coconuts on the bamboo counters will roll al the way down the hill straight into the ocean if balance is lost. And the requisite fruit flys that hover just above each nectar nugget... It is all so much to process right now. I want to experience it all so I can remember...

What will be my fetish in NYC? A friend recently brought up the subject of fetishes. We were having a hard time distinguishing between a fetish and a passion strangely enough. I wikipedia'd fetish: Fetishism, the attribution of religious or mystical qualities to inanimate objects. Now, an inanimate object is something that is deficient of having a quality associated with living organisms. This is fun to think about! So Wikipedia has some new definitions of fetishism:

  • Content Fetish (2004), by James Paul Gee: the view that any academic area, whether physics, sociology, or history, is composed of a set of facts or a body of information and that the way learning should work is through teaching and testing such facts and information
  • Growth Fetish, the pursuit of economic growth in politics and economic theory as a universal cure for all society's problems
I just found this amusing- that is all...

Ok, clearly I cannot focus on any one thing right now...





No comments:

Post a Comment