3.09.2013

Sunday Sunny Sunday

Again, I'm lying in bed :) with coffee, with little to no focus on what I'm writing about, and I'm smiling. Because, 1st, it's Sunday. It's also sunny. And I'm just generally feeling mighty happy about the direction where everything is going.

I've been, casually, nursing a cold- or whatever it is- for over a week. I find it strange that I can get a cold here so often, and it just hangs around. In Hawaii, not that I got sick often (in fact hardly ever), when I got sick, I would just casually take care of it and POOF it's gone (snap fingers here). Not so here.  Okay let me clarify.  The fever/sick part doesn't last long, but the remainders (cough, runny nose) seem to take a while to disappear. This is to say that I have gotten really good at coughing and blowing my nose in public AND try to remain as graceful as possible during these events...

Normally on a Sunday I'll have a run first before I start writing so you all are getting a different side of me this week I fear think. We'll see what happens. You guys have been quiet little birds lately as I have been getting no comments lately- except for this spam person who is just trying so hard to make their comments seem real.  I am, honestly, amused with this but ENOUGH already.

Anyway, last I recall I asked you guys to come up with some new music for me to listen to while running. Oh how you disappoint... Except for a few individuals. Many mahalos for your input and yes I will be downloading them illegally from the 'interwebs' and taking to the track with them- as soon as I muster up enough energy to actually do/accomplish the task. As of now, I'm still only in the 'threatening' stage of running with an iPod...

Speaking of iPods or iEverythings... I'd like to address the only really surprising thing that I find about Turkish (new) culture that seems so different from my own. The cell phone culture here seems to be outta control. They are everywhere: they are inside the classrooms; they are in students hands as they take their speaking midterms/finals, etc; they are at the gym- WHILE peeps be working out (that one KILLS me slowly because it's just such a shame to be doing something so good for your body, but while still connected to the outside world. Workouts should be an internal thing.  All one needs is motivation to work their body out. They should not be awaiting calls from ANYBODY while working on their health. PERIOD. NUFF SAID. Ackkkkkkkkkkk.

Maybe it's just a worldwide generational thing though.  Maybe it's just because in Hawaii, people aren't glued to their cellphones.  There is too much else to do- especially involving places where I cell phone doesn't dare to go... Maybe it is different living on the Mainland, but I didn't recognize this even while living in New York City (5 years ago), and I was traveling by Metro and/or walking all the time there so say the entire gamut of cultures and age groups walking solo and not on their phones, or even HOLDING their cell phones.

Just as a further look into my introspection on the current subject matter... When I'm working out, I'm thinking only about ME. Trying to overcome my ego and break it down. Like when it tells me to 'only run 1 more lap around the track because I'm tired.' So, when this happens, I need all my inner strength to fight back and say," 'FUCK YOU EGO'. You just simmer down and relax because I'm fighting hard to resist your shit-storm you're trying to talk up. In fact, stop telling me I need potato chips after I run." So when battling my demons, I can't have the phone demon hanging around. Anyway, I detest seeing cell phones so visibly... especially when I'm with someone of the opposite sex... Nothing is a bigger turn-off. Yea that's right. Take note of THAT potential suitors...

Yesterday I was downtown in the Çarsı. It is always such a pleasure to go there- especially when I have a list of things to do.  Solo_ojo & I headed out late and 1st stopped at the shoe repair guys. We both had stuff to get/drop-off. I love hanging out in the 'shed' and waiting around drinking tea while all the men work and hang out.  Caught the new JT & Jay-Z video. I hate to admit it, but JT is quite talented in his 'elder years.' Can't say I ever heard a song from the 'backstreet boys' days...

Off to my tailor, Mehmet, after that, but not before scoring a 100% fresh-squeezed orange juice for only 1.5TL! Awesome. Mehmet is a very cool dude.  He always looks so zen-like and kicked-back when we go to his shop. Reminds me of my old fashion design days. How great it is to be at your sewing machine creating things for people. Anyway, I get that about him. I adore that about him that he sits and raps with us drinking tea/Turkish coffee while hand-sewing something with a thimble on his finger. Reminds me of the days in Capitola, California with DP in the studio sewing/selling/drinking/smoking and taking walks to the rivermouth underneath the bridge... Good fun that.

A day downtown is not final until I have a stop-off at Settar's (AKA Remze) villa. Good conversation. Good fun, and Tuborg Gold 100% malt to boot! After a few hours of refueling while simultaneously mapping out our futures, we departed- homeward bound.  The strategy here is always to walk to Demokrasi Meydani metro stop instead of the nearby Villayet one. Why you ask? Because you are guaranteed a seat always at the previous stop. You're taking your chances at Villayet always. Especially because the Gaziantepspor stadium was filled with futbol enthusiasts... Just in case any Gaziantep Belideyesi peeps are reading this... consider this: you need more car-things on the tram. It's way too crowded on them.

Okay. That's it. I think it's time to go for a run now. I hope I completed all my thoughts here... If not, you guys can fill in the blanks.

Sunday Sunny Sunday so get out and enjoy the day and work your body out while ignoring your ego...DO IT and tell me how good it was...



2 comments:

  1. Justin Timberlake was in NSYNC, Holly, NOT Backstreet Boys! Gawd. And I totally have tickets to see him and Jay-Z at Candlestick in July, score.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! See, I don't know this stuff... no wonder I never heard his voice... enjoy the show. BTW Erin, can you say KAOS this year...

    ReplyDelete