6.29.2013

Maui Daze in a Jet-Lag haze

I'm finally getting around to updating my blog.  A now far-away friend just informed me that I haven't updated it in a while... so...

I made it back to Maui this week and have been in a jet-lag induced stupor ever since.  I think I finally got a grip on it last night though.  It took 4 nights, but I was able to watch the entire season 1-3 of Game of Thrones.  Upon finishing epi 10 Season 3 last night, I was able to fall into a (drug-induced) sleep for 8 luscious hours.

It's now nearly 7:30 am Saturday  morning, and I'm feeling alright. I've had no coffee yet, no morning run (I'm enjoying evening runs up here in Kula- my temporary HQ- until I move to Makawao to another temporary HQ- until I move to Maui Meadows to another temporary HQ, until Haiku, until Hana, etc)... Yep I'M BACK FOLKS!!!

Back home on Maui and it seems strange: slow-moving, peeps tanned/beautiful everywhere, no excessive stupidity where operating a moving vehicle is concerned, no cutting lines in queues... But mostly just beauty as far as the eye can see- natural beauty. Yea there's some building impeding some fantastic views, etc but really just lots of open space.

I've made some new discoveries as well: there are some decent tele series out there; there is this super cool machine, called YONANA, that eats up frozen bananas and spits out a banana freezie thing that is absolutely wonderful when you add shredded coconut and cinnamon on it; there are quite a few decent tasting as well as decent priced red wines available at Long's Upcountry appropriately called, "Menage A Trois" and "Monogamy"...

I have reacquainted myself with such delights as Caesar Salad (with REAL Caesar dressing), Acai berry smoothies, Hazelnut Milk, Mangoes so luscious that your lips swell. Mexican food? Not yet... I'm saving myself for that one.  I don't know how much longer I can hold out though... First someone has to update me on the best Mexican food on isle as of late...

So I'm throwing myself back into the Maui spirit, which now that work is over (Driver's License renewal, Bank activity, post office box sorting out, etc) includes such shitty activities as having no certain place to be at any certain time, beach, hitch-hiking around isle, beach, eating HEALTHY, beach...

my stress level has been reduced to: wondering what I am going to wear to a friend's wedding on Molokai next weekend, and when exactly I'll be visiting my family on the Mainland so I can make a plane reservation QUICKLY before prices inflate.

Just a quick note about my new run because it's so wonderful to be running a route that is not a route at all, or even a track.  This has been so liberating.  Running in the upcountry lands around bridges and horse stables and on an empty feeder road in the hills of Kula in cool temperatures.  Running and seeing beautiful things, and smelling beautiful smells of sweet grasses growing on the sides of the road. Even the smell of the dead, rotting cow over the bridge in a steep gulch has a certain feel of 'life' to it for me. Running without anyone looking at me like I'm weird.  Running & having peeps walking their dogs and saying to me, "beautiful afternoon for a run isn't it". I ran by a horse arena last night and the smell of farm animals was intoxicating. And then the sound of the pigs squeaking or squealing- whatever it is that they do... The peacocks in the distance sounding off with their shrills- giving me a warning that they are nearby watching (yea peacocks are certainly GREAT unconventional watchdogs I have found out).

Okay this is all for now as my lovely hosts are making me breakfast- well Jamil is.. Katie-girl is entertaining me with stories of calorie-counting...



No comments:

Post a Comment